Mombasa Academy Network Policy
The MOMBASA ACADEMY Network comprises of all computers owned by MOMBASA ACADEMY, the equipment connected to these computers and the Internet connection provided by these computers. An account on the MOMBASA ACADEMY Network provides access to local, national and international sources of information. In return for this access, every user has the responsibility to respect and protect the rights of every other user in our community and on the Internet. In short, account holders are expected to act in a responsible, ethical and legal manner, in accordance with the terms and conditions for the use of the MOMBASA ACADEMY Network. (This policy applies not only on school computers but also for Personal Laptops, MP3 players, Flash Disks, Ipods, or any other electronic storage device in current or future use which has been brought to school and connected to the school Internet/Intranet service)
The holder of a network account on the MOMBASA ACADEMY Network is held responsible for his/her actions and activity within his/her account. Unacceptable uses of the network will result in the suspension from school or these privileges being revoked. Some examples of such unacceptable use are:
- Using the network for any illegal activity, including violation of copyright or other contracts;
- Using the network for financial or commercial gain;
- Degrading or disrupting equipment, software or system performance;
- Vandalizing the data of another user;
- Wastefully using finite resources;
- Gaining unauthorized access to resources or entities;
- Using an account owned by another user or allowing another user to use your account;
- Posting personal communications without the original author's consent;
- Posting anonymous messages;
- Downloading, installing or creating viruses, or messages, images etc containing viruses.
- Downloading, storing, printing or distributing files or messages that are profane or obscene, or use language that offends or tends to degrade others;
- Downloading, storing, printing or distributing files or messages that contain information considered dangerous to the public at large;
- Violating the terms and conditions of the use of the MOMBASA ACADEMY Network;
- Being on websites to which access has been denied by school.
- Downloading, and/or installing any programme without the explicit written permission of the Head of the institution;
- Downloading any music, or video files without the explicit written permission of the Head of the Institution;
- Using the internet to play games online or for personal email;
- Downloading any Computer or electronic games, or any programmes which help the same;
- Using the internet for messaging or chatting on any site.Trying to access any other computer on the Intranet of the School Computers.
Terms & Conditions for the Use of the MOMBASA ACADEMY Network
Use - The purpose of MOMBASA ACADEMY Network is to support research and education. The use of your account must be in support of this purpose.
- Use for commercial activities is not allowed;
- Any illegal activities are strictly not allowed;
Privileges - The use of MOMBASA ACADEMY Network is a privilege, not a right, and inappropriate use will result in cancellation of this privilege. Based on the Acceptable Use guidelines outlined above, the Staff will identify what is inappropriate use and will, in consultation with the Head of Department, and if necessary the Deputy Headmaster and Headmaster, withdraw the privilege. The administration, faculty and staff of MOMBASA ACADEMY may request to deny, revoke or suspend specific user accounts. The School has the right to check each account holder’s Internet usage history and monitor the files stored on the school file server.
Etiquette - You are expected to abide by the generally accepted rules of network etiquette. These include, but are not limited to, the following;
- Be polite. Do not write or send abusive messages to others.
- Use appropriate language. Do not swear or use vulgarities or any other inappropriate language.
- Do not reveal the personal address or account information of other students or staff.
- All communications and information accessible via the network should be assumed to be private property, which means that they carry a copyright even if it is not explicitly stated. Therefore, they may not be distributed.
Reliability - MOMBASA ACADEMY makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the service being provided. MOMBASA ACADEMY will not be responsible for any damages you suffer. This includes loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, errors, omissions or system failures. Use of any information obtained via MOMBASA ACADEMY is at your own risk. MOMBASA ACADEMY denies specifically any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through its network.
Security - on any computer system is high priority. If you feel you can identify a security problem on the network, notify any member of staff.
Important security - relevant restrictions are listed below:
- Do not demonstrate the problem to other users (ie. Do not tell others that something is wrong which can help to misuse the resources).
- Do not use another individual's account, not even your brother's or sister's.
- Do not give your password to any other user than yourself.
Attempts to log in to MOMBASA ACADEMY Network as ADMIN will result in cancellation of user privileges and will have severe disciplinary consequences.
Any user identified as a security risk or having a history of problems with other computer systems may be denied access to the MOMBASA ACADEMY Network.
Software - No software may be installed on any computer without explicit written permission of the Headmaster. This includes, but is not limited to, shareware and public domain problems. Executable program may not be stored on the server.
Vandalism - will result in cancellation of privileges. Vandalism is defined as any malicious attempt to harm or destroy the data, software or hardware of another user or the MOMBASA ACADEMY Network. This includes, but is not limited to, the uploading or creation of computer viruses.
Exception of Terms and Conditions - All terms and conditions stated in this document are applicable to the MOMBASA ACADEMY Network. These terms and conditions reflect the entire agreement of the parties and supersede all prior oral or written agreements and understandings of the parties.